THE CAMPAIGN FOR THE UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS (2003–2011)
In July 2003, the University of Illinois began the “silent” planning phase of its Brilliant Futures Campaign. Publicly announced on June 1, 2007 at Chicago’s Navy Pier, the campaign’s primary goal was to secure the reputation of the University of Illinois as the nation’s top public university and as a leader in private fundraising.
At $2.25 billion, Brilliant Futures was the largest campaign in University history and one of the most ambitious in the history of national higher education.
Despite a failing economy and a global recession, not only did Brilliant Futures succeed, it surpassed its goal—raising $2.43 billion by its December 31, 2011 close.
Exceeding our campaign goal is an extraordinary achievement and an incredible testament to the generosity of our supporters and their belief in, and commitment to, the University. We at the Foundation, and on behalf of all U of I students, faculty, and staff, thank everyone who contributed to Brilliant Futures.
For more detailed information about the Brilliant Futures Campaign:
THE GROWING NEED FOR PRIVATE FUNDING
The University of Illinois continues to face many challenges in today’s economic climate. Despite declining state funding, we must find a way to continue our tradition of excellence in teaching, research, and scholarship.
Current state aid meets only 15% of our total budget. The remaining 85% must come from tuition, fees, grants—and private giving. Tuition is at an all-time high and cannot continue escalating beyond affordability. That’s why we must reach out to our alumni and friends, asking them to invest in the University of Illinois.